Best Baby Formula for Babies with Acid Reflux 2021
Acid reflux is what happens when stomach contents and acid flow back up into the throat. This is a common problem in infants, especially those below 3 months old.
This problem usually happens when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), the muscle between the stomach and the esophagus, is weak or underdeveloped. If it doesn’t close properly, stomach contents can flow back into the esophagus.
When Will My Baby's Reflux Go Away?
A normal baby with mild acid reflux may spit up after feedings, but usually isn’t irritable. This problem usually stops after 12 months.
How To Soothe Baby Acid Reflux
- Rest their stomach. Keep your baby from eating or drinking for 30 to 60 minutes after vomiting so that their stomach has time to recover.
- Give them fluids. after 3o minutes, start by giving your baby small amounts (0.5 oz or less) of fluid every 5 to 10 minutes. If your baby vomits the fluid out, wait another 30 minutes. Then start again with small amounts of fluid every 5 to 10 minutes. Use water, breast milk or a clear, noncarbonated liquid.
- Medicines. If your child has a fever, ask your pediatrician for the appropriate medication.
How can I treat my baby's reflux naturally?
- Avoid overfeeding. If the baby's stomach is too full, some of the contents might be pushed back out. To reduce overfeeding, feed your baby smaller amounts more frequently.
- Burp your baby frequently. Extra gas in the stomach causes gas bubbles to escape, which has a tendency to bring the rest of the stomach's contents up as well. Burp after and during meals.
- Limit active play after meals
- Hold your baby upright. Pressing on a baby's belly right after feeding may push their stomach contents out.
- Consider the formula. Frequent vomiting may serve as one of several signs that it's time to consider alternative formulas with your pediatrician.
- Give oatmeal. Only recommended for babies after 6 months old. Babies with reflux may need thicker food to order to swallow safely or reduce reflux.
- Avoid tight diapers or clothing
Best Baby Formula for Babies with Acid Reflux
1. HiPP Anti-Reflux Special Milk Formula
5. Happy Baby Organic Stage 1 Infant Formula